By Danny Hayasaka
May 16, 2017
Almost a couple years ago I wrote “Plantronics Voyager Focus UC Review”. As more and more organizations transition to open office spaces as well as work remotely from anywhere, the need for Active Noise Canceling has become increasingly important.
The Plantronics Voyager Focus UC is ideal for folks who want the ability to “Focus” on their work. Many do this by streaming their favorite tunes or podcasts via their mobile device.
There are four Voyager Focus UC variants:
- PLT-202652-01-006 Plantronics B825 Voyager Focus UC Bluetooth Headset
- PLT-202652-02-006 Plantronics B825-M Voyager Focus UC Lync/Skype for Business Bluetooth Headset
- PLT-202652-03-006 Plantronics B825 Voyager Focus UC Bluetooth Headset (No Stand)
- PLT-202652-04-006 Plantronics B825-M Voyager Focus UC Lync/Skype for Business Bluetooth Headset (No Stand)
It has phenomenal talk time (up to 12hrs) and listening time (up to 15hrs).
Let’s focus on Plantronics Smart Sensor technology. It’s a very cool feature. As I wrote before, Smart Sensor means the headset knows when you are wearing it and when you are not. Here are some applications on how Smart Sensor Technology is beneficial:
- Your mobile device rings and you aren’t wearing headset, simply answer call by putting headset on.
- Let’s say headset wasn’t quite in reach, that’s okay…answer call via mobile device. If you find it will be longer call, put the Voyager Focus on and the audio automatically transfers from mobile device to headset
- You’re streaming media, you can pause by removing headset and resume by putting it back on.
- Maybe you need to sneeze, cough or co-worker taps you on the shoulder to ask quick question while you are in a call, if you take headset off, it automatically mutes the mic so the party on the other end doesn’t hear.
- In our Microsoft Lync/Skype for Business. If you take headset off, it will change your Presence status to “Away”. Voyager Focus UC will also answer Microsoft Lync/SfB call by putting headset on.
Use sensors: Smart sensors respond when you put on or take off your headset.
|With active sensors||Putting on headset will:||Taking off headset will:|
|Call||Answer the call||Mute the headset|
|Music/Media||Resume music/media (if playing previous to taking off)*||Pause music/media (if playing)*|
|Mute||Unmute if on an active call||Mute if on an active call|
NOTE *Functionality varies by application. Does not function with web-based apps.
You may need to reset the sensors if they are not working as expected. There are two ways to reset the headset sensors. Choose:
- With your headset powered on, charge your headset on the charge stand for 10 seconds
- Press and hold both the Mute and Play/pause buttons for more than 4 seconds until the LEDs flash purple twice, being careful to not touch the earcup padding or allow it to come in contact with surfaces
You can disable your headset smart sensors several ways:
- Manage sensors through Plantronics Hub software
- Hold both the Mute and Call buttons for more than 4 seconds until the LED flashes purple then red. Repeat to reactivate; the LED flashes purple then blue.
NOTE Sensors cannot be disabled while streaming audio.
To learn more about the Plantronics Voyager Focus UC or to find out if this solution is right in your environment, contact us.
From October 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017 Plantronics is offering a special promo where you receive a FREE Voyager Focus with the purchase of 10 Voyager 5200 UC headsets.