By Danny Hayasaka
November 12, 2018
Plantronics has added the Savi 8200 Series to their lineup.
This solution is recommended for the connected executive, office collaborator and contact center supervisor who need to collaborate across multiple communication platforms (desk phone, softphone and mobile phone). They need a single headset system to seamlessly manage calls with the added flexibility to roam more freely in the enterprise office or contact center, focus in noisy environments with active noise canceling (ANC) and maintain the best audio on both sides of the call.
Savi 8200 Series Models – Please note only Stereo models offer ANC:
- 207309-01 W8210 UC – Mono
- 207322-01 W8210-MSFT CERT – Mon
- 207325-01 W8220 UC – Stereo (ANC)
- 207326-01 W8220-MSFT CERT – Stereo (ANC)
What’s in the box? Headset, Charging cradle, Base unit, USB cable, USB-C cable (used to connect headset directly to PC/Laptop to change voice prompt language), Telephone interface cable & Power supply (Watch first look video)
If Plantronics already has ANC solutions, why the Savi 8200? The initial ANC solutions were all Bluetooth headsets that support connectivity to Mobile devices and PC/Laptop (via dongle). The Savi 8200 is a DECT Wireless Headset solution. It’s currently the only DECT Wireless headset with Active Noise Canceling speakers for use in enterprise and contact centers.
Another great feature is Close Conversation Limiting. This allows the user to limit the amount of nearby conversation transmitted through the microphone. This is a great feature especially for those offices that experience peak noisy times.
We personally tested the various settings and they all provide a stronger level of noise cancelation from the mic. So why doesn’t Plantronics set at “Maximum” as default? A Plantronics Product Manager states: “The default is “standard” mode because the algorithm is very aggressive in “maximum” mode, and may/can cause some audio artifacts and clipping. So the point is, unless you are in an extremely noisy environment (like in a packed contact center), the standard mode should be used to get the best audio experience… “
This feature and many others can be accessed via the Plantronics Hub (Free download here)
The Savi 8200 Series are not replacing the popular Savi 700 Series. They are expanding the overall Savi Series Solution to cover more use cases and work styles.
Plantronics claims a headset wireless range of: Line of sight: up to 580 ft/180 m; Typical office environment: up to 180 ft/55 m. We’ll be testing this and posting video to our YouTube Channel: CallOneInc
A feature available through Plantronics Hub is the ability to change the voice prompt language. You can choose from: Cantonese, Danish, English (UK, US), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Thai.
Another nice feature to the Savi 8200 base is you can easily adjust the level of incoming ringer volume.
The Plantronics Savi 8200 has a 2-year warranty (Watch video on how to use Plantronics Direct Warranty).
Your specific phone manufacturer/model will determine whether you can use an EHS Cable or HL10 Handset Lifter. Check Compatibility here
From our initial tests, the Savi 8200 is a solid solution that’s packed with features and functionality.
Features and Specifications (For even more functionality – review the Savi 8200 User Guide)
- Up to 13 hours talk time, up to 50 hours standby time
- Headset wireless range: Line of sight: 580 ft/180 m; Typical office environment: 180 ft/55 m
- Battery capacity: Mono 490mAh; Stereo 700mAh
- Rechargeable, replaceable, lithium ion polymer
- Charge time: 3 hours
- Wireless technology: DECT 6.0 and Bluetooth v4.2
- Audio profiles: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP); AVRCP; Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile (HFP); Bluetooth Headset Profile (HSP)
- Codecs: G726, G722, Broadvoice32, OPUS/CELT 16kS, OPUS/CELT 48kS
- Active noise canceling (ANC) (W8220)
- Receive frequency response: Wideband: 100–6800 Hz; Multimedia 20 Hz–20 kHz
- Speaker sensitivity: 118 dB SPL max
- Speaker impedance: 32 ohms
- Speaker size: 32 mm
- SoundGuard DIGITAL: protects against sound levels above 118dBA; G616 anti-startle (during calls) detects and eliminates any large sudden increase in signal level; Time-weighted average prevents average daily noise exposure from exceeding 85dBA* *Requires Plantronics Hub software to enable SoundGuard DIGITAL features.
- Noise-canceling microphone
- Microphone frequency response: Wideband: 100 Hz–6800 Hz
- Microphone sensitivity: 112 dB SPL max
- Headset weight: Mono: .25 lbs/115 g; Stereo: .35 lbs/160 g
- Controls: Call answer/end, mute, volume +/-, ANC on/off, power on/off
- Multiple voice prompts
- Languages configurable by Plantronics Hub software